Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tokina AT-X 100-300 F4 Lens Test

I tested the resolution of the Tokina AT-X 100-300 F4 zoom lens. This is the older style manual-focus lens with the combination push-pull focus-ring.

The Tokina is the only constant aperture 100-300 zoom made and has an outstanding reputation for contrast and sharpness. I just acquired my copy of it for use on the OM system as well as my E-1. As per my normal procedure, I test each lens upon acquisition for my own purposes to know where the lens best performs.

To access the test charts, go to http://image66media.com/Gallery/atx01a

Please do not copy or repost these images.

In a nutshell, wide-open, this lens is a touch soft, but still usable. F8 is the "sweet spot" for the lens and achieves sensor-max resolution on the E-1. F22-32 are heavily affected by diffraction. F5.6-16 would be considered the usable range for this lens.

Ken

No comments: