Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Delamination


I got a nice suprise Saturday when the Post Office delivered a package containing the Tokina AT-X 100-300 F4 zoom. It wasn't expected until Monday. I definitely wasn't complaining, though. Within minutes I gathered up my daughters and the cameras and we headed out to the prairie where there were some bison (buffalo) roaming about.
All of the bison were shedding fur, but a couple of them had that distinct "homeless" look about them.



Not trying to judge them for their appearance and obvious lack of proper hygene, we strove to get to know them a little better. Alas, no soup-kitchens out there--just a lot of grass. They seemed to be pretty content to roam. No, I won't get into whether or not they have to pay "roaming charges."

The Tokina performed remarkably well. This lens is contrasty and sharp (see test link in previous post). All three images in this post were taken with it. I did have some troubles with stabilizing the lens at first, but that's more a function of getting to know how the equipment balances in the hands. Today, I handheld the camera/lens without a monopod or tripod and was able to satisfactorily hold the rig steady enough to shoot at 1/500 without blurs.

I'm sure the bison will be much happier in the summertime heat once all that winter fur is shed. Too bad about the flies.

No comments: