Saturday, June 23, 2007

OM-Series Viewfinder Diopter - The Minolta Option


The OM-4 and OM-3 lines of Olympus cameras have a built-in adjustable diopter for the viewfinder. For those of us who are a touch nearsighted, this is a fantastic feature. However, the older Olympus cameras don't have this feature. Optional diopters are available, however, they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Minolta made a set of rectangle-shape diopters which fit in the OM viewfinder. For example, here is one listed on that great auction site, 120133739594, identical to ones I use in my OM bodies.

You will want to use a touch of adhesive to hold it in place. Do not use SuperGlue, because the glue will damage the anti-reflective coating on the viewfinder elements. I've found that hot-glue works pretty well, without damaging anything.


This OM-2S looks a little rough, and my diopter a bit beat up, but this has been my workhorse camera for the past 20 years. I've reglued that thing more times that I can remember.

No comments: