Thursday, June 4, 2009

Film and the Nikon D3

>> Gee, I wonder where I stick the film in the Nikon D3?


Add two to the alphabet and three to the number. The film fits just fine.

Had Nikon come out with that camera (F6) at the beginning of the digital age, it just may have slowed the tidal wave. I fondled one recently and had momentary pains of jealousy. I bleed Olympus though, so it was just momentary.

Actually, I think that's a currently perfect setup. A D3/D3X/D700 for digital and an F6 loaded up with film of choice (B&W?). Both handle identically and are completely interchangeable.

If I had to completely start from ground-zero with a new camera system based entirely on NEW equipment, that would probably be my choice. However, not without serious face-time first to make sure that the grip shape didn't aggravate the wrists.

But I figure I have 25 years of serious photography ahead of me. I'd rather limit the number of times I switch camera systems in that time. So far, it's 23 years with Olympus as my primary axe.

Hmm. That's an interesting thought... If instead of film, I follow the popular trend of buying new cameras every two years. I'd be looking at at least 12 cameras from now to then and going backwards, it would mean a career total of over 20 cameras! Maybe an expensive "lifetime" camera like a Leica does actually make financial sense.

No comments: