Monday, April 27, 2009

Packed up for a three-day event shoot

I'm all packed up for this week's event shoot. I've already figured that I'm going to be shooting in the neighborhood of 2000 pictures. This is down from last year's 3000+. I'm trying to learn how to rein in the over-the-top picture taking.

It's rather interesting because I'm hugely film this year and combined with digital means that I'm having to haul dual systems around. I used to do this back in the medium-format days when I'd use 35mm for the general-purpose stuff and medium-format for the higher-quality stuff. Strangely, it's shifted to 35mm for the higher-quality stuff and digital for the general-purpose stuff.

The camera configurations are slightly altered. My hands are experiencing some grip problems this week (carpel-tunnel symptoms) so I'm attempting to keep the weight of the cameras to a minimum. I packed an MD2 for the OM, but may end up leaving it off. We'll see how it goes tonight at the banquet. However, when shooting with the 100-300/4, having the additional grip and mass is quite helpful, but I doubt I'll use that lens tonight.

Setup of the flashes in the main auditorium will take me about 45 minutes. I'll post pictures of them. I'm attempting to do something different this year. Instead of bare reflectors on the monolights, I'm going to try and use umbrellas to diffuse the shadows a little bit. However, I know that my levels are just on the edge, so I don't know if I'll be successful or not. The reflectors are quite yellowed with age, which helps warm them just enough to be a closer match to the stage lighting.

No comments: